Wednesday, November 3, 2010

Don't Allow Yourself to Become Anyone's Victim!

The buzz word these days seems to be bullying and specifically cyberbullying. No one is immune people. Recently at my school a teacher fell prey to cyberbullying of an ill and awful nature. I made sure I fought for her and all of our staff members who are easy prey to any student or person with a phone, laptop or pc. I demanded that the responsible parties be brought to light and made examples of. Much of this plight was greeted with shrugged shoulders and a "what good will that do?" How about letting people know that it is NOT okay to slander anyone, or how about sending a message to our students that we do NOT tolerate any kind of bullying whether staff member or student victim?!?!

I was as infuriated then as I am now. But I wanted to cool down enough to get to the point of this post. I want to my children and my students to know that it's never okay to call someone a name, even if you think you're being funny. I want victims of bullying, young and old, to know that you're not alone. If you're hurting because of someone else's ignorance, TELL SOMEONE!! Don't just let the pain eat away at the very light that you possess inside of you. Let your light shine and be proud of who you are. I recently watched Katy Perry's video, FIREWORK, and it brought me to tears. It's beautiful and the message is clear.

I want to dedicate this post to every boy or girl that's ever been teased for being different. Know that there people out there just like you and they love you for being who you are!!

Some of the lyrics:
Like a lightning bolt, your heart will blow
And when it's time, you'll know

You just gotta ignite the light
And let it shine
Just own the night
Like the Fourth of July

Cause baby you're a firework
Come on show 'em what your worth
Make 'em go "Oh, oh, oh!"
As you shoot across the sky-y-y

Baby you're a firework
Come on slet your colors burst
Make 'em go "Oh, oh, oh!"
You're gunna leave 'em fallin' down-own-own

No comments: