Friday, January 13, 2012

Real Men Aren't Afraid of Crying

If you don't know by now, one of my major passions is the written word. My love for it is so deep that I teach a senior Creative Writing class.

Every Thursday my students have to perform a piece that they have written. Well...this week one of my boys (we'll call him "L") in my program took his open mic to a whole other level!

To celebrate their one year anniversary, "L" wrote a poem for his girlfriend, asked me to write her a pass to come hear it, and in the presence of his entire male peer class "L" professed his undying love for her.

But wait! I'm not done. Towards the end "L" gets so overcome with emotion that he begins to openly weep as he finishes his poem. When he's finished they are both crying and embracing while the class is quietly applauding and my manly little men tried not to show how close they all got to crying too.

While all of my boys know that I don't condone relationships so close to graduation, I was so proud of "L" for 1) not being afraid to show his girl how much she means to him and 2)for showing all the other boys that it takes a real man to share his tears!

I love when I get to see some of my speeches, lessons, and "mothering" come to life.

What will I do when they graduate?

Sigh.

No comments: