Saturday, July 19, 2008

Epidural or Natural...There is no Question!!!

I know there is always debate about natural vs. epidural or drugs. With my first daughter I had pre-term labor and was contracting and effaced very early so when labor actually happened there was no time for drugs and she was born after 28 minutes of pushing. I know it was painful but I don't remember the pain, you know? Once your baby is in your arms all is forgotten. Now fast forward to my recent hospital stay where they had to give me spinal in order to put a cerclage in. The spinal not horribly bad...yes it hurt like hell at first by not bad in comparison to the post-op effects. I hated not being in control of my lower body. It was positively frightening. I mean, there you are lying in on a gurney trembling like an epileptic from the anesthesia, and no matter how much you will it, your pinky toe will not move. When my hubby came in to check on me, the first thing I said to him was, "Remind me how I feel right now when I go into labor. I'd rather scream my head off than feel like this"...and I kept repeating it for the next 6 hours because that's how long it took for me to move my legs, feet and toes!! God bless women who have c-sections, I pray I won't need one. I expressly told hubby that since we pumped me full of drugs with IVF to make the baby, pumped me full of drugs once we got pregnant, and now they're going to continue to pump me full of drugs to keep baby safe and sound inside my tummy...I vow to do a little screaming for my boy so that he won't have any last minute drugs pumped in his system. I can do that for my son, can't I?

No comments: