Wednesday, October 13, 2010

Reasons Why I Teach #35 - Student said what?

As I was getting ready to leave work yesterday, the phone rang and normally when the bag is on the shoulder, I don't answer it. However, the call was coming from a classroom and I thought better of it and picked it up. It was a Global teacher that I know and like.

Here's how the conversation went:

Ms. T - You have one of my students, D, in your all boys class, right?

Me: Yes, is something wrong? (always thinking negative)

Ms. T - No, on the contrary. I've been working with D for the past 2 years in my Global classes and while he's very bright, he's also extremely shy and quiet.

Me: Really? He talks in my class.

Ms. T - Well, that's why I'm calling. D always gets the grades, this term he's gotten 91, 86, 89 on his exams. I put a little note on his last one just saying I've noticed and happy to see he's opening up more in class. He came up to me after class and said that it's because of you. That you're the first teacher to make him believe.

Me: (silence b/c I'm trying not to get all teary had 2 students in the office with me).

Ms. T - We don't often get to hear these kinds of things from our students and I just wanted to let you know that you're making a difference.

I'm still blown away by what D said. This kid just did a presentation in my class that blew me away with his public speaking skills. I was first shocked by the fact that she said he didn't speak in her class and she's had him for 2 years! But to know that he's the opposite in my class and he feels that I'm the reason...there just aren't the words.

This is why I teach!!

Now tomorrow I have to go in and tell half of my classes that they're failing and they need to step it up!! What will that inspire, hm?

7 comments:

@digitalmyk said...

Wow that's 1000000x's better than the stuff I hear from kids working as a substitute. You must be doing a great job. As for those failing kids; they better get it together!!

P.s.- I had a girl in the first grade tell me that she wanted a tattoo on her stomach. *the blankest stare of all time*

Joshua'sMommy said...

That's amazing. But it's true you are an amazing teacher <3

Mommyhood Mayhem said...

awwww!!!! Kudos to you!!! How amazing it must be to know you've made such a HUGE difference in this young man's life. It makes me teary just thinking about it.

We get beat down as teachers because every day is such hard work without much reward. My mentor teacher (many moons ago) called these "nuggets". The little bit of something that makes us remember that what we do is worthwhile. This is a GREAT one :)

Chocolate Mom aka Blupoetres said...

@HHD - Tattoo? Stomach? 1st Grade? *Blink* *Blink*

@ NM2B - And you were an amazing student!!

@ MM - I'm going to have to use that term "nuggets", how long before you think I'll have me a six piece? LOL

Thanks everyone!!

Tomika said...

That is wonderful. Like Mommy Mahem said teaching is lots of work with little reward but that would've made my week hearing that. And of all things to say that you made him believe...that's a very powerful statement. Believe in what, we dont know but what ever it was he had no hope in it and somehow, something you said or did bought that hope and "belief" back to life....keep up the great work.

Vanessa said...

I'm 18 and I really want to become a teacher but I'm more on the shy/quiet/reserved side. I was wondering do you think I could be a teacher even though I'm more shy/quiet?

Chocolate Mom aka Blupoetres said...

@Vanessa - I know plenty of teachers that are shy and quiet but find their voices once they are standing in front of their classrooms. It can't hurt to try. Especially if you love children. I'm going to post your question and maybe we'll get some more input.