Monday, September 5, 2011

Compliments to the Chef - Shrimp & Grits

Since I've been singing the praises of Sip City for the past few months and even recently craving the Shrimp & Grits that I had, I decided to try my hand at making it. I cannot even express to you all how absolutely deee-li-cious this came out!!

I found this recipe online after searching and searching for something that remotely sounded like what I ate for Mother's Day. It's Bobby Flay's recipe and I made one or two minor tweaks to it.


Ingredients

 
  • 4 cups water (I substituted water and used Low sodium Chicken Stock)
  • Salt and pepper
  • 1 cup stone-ground grits
  • 3 tablespoons butter
  • 2 cups shredded sharp cheddar cheese (I used 1 cup of the sharp cheddar and 1 cup Velveeta - much creamier)
  • 1 pound shrimp, peeled and deveined (I used 2lbs)
  • 6 slices bacon, chopped
  • 4 teaspoons lemon juice
  • 2 tablespoons chopped parsley
  • 1 cup thinly sliced scallions
  • 1 large clove garlic, minced (I used the prebottled chopped garlic)
  • Directions
Bring water to a boil. Add salt and pepper. Add grits and cook until water is absorbed, about 20 to 25 minutes. Remove from heat and stir in butter and cheese.
Rinse shrimp and pat dry. Fry the bacon in a large skillet until browned; drain well. 

In grease, add shrimp. Cook until shrimp turn pink. Add lemon juice, chopped bacon, parsley, scallions and garlic. Saute for 3 minutes.
Spoon grits into a serving bowl. Add shrimp mixture and mix well. Serve immediately.
  • I also fried some plaintain with it and added a few slices of avocado on the side (forgot to picture with avocado).
  • Everyone - hubby, Maddy, Linky, and Mom - loved it!  It was filling, flavorful, and Y-U-M-M-Y!!
  • Thanks Sip City for the inspiration!!

No comments: