Saturday, October 13, 2012

Writing...Inspiration vs. habit

I'm a writer. However, I haven't been inspired to much lately. I went on a school trip to the Dodge Poetry Festival and was blown away by the myriad of voices and styles and words. But nothing was more eye-opening than listening to poet Patricia Smith.

Her main advice was to write every day no matter what. As I teacher I often say that to my own students rarely following my own advice. It's harder now with work, kids, hubby, and lets face it, I'm just too dag'gone tired all the time.

Back in the days I used to attend poetry readings and slams, and come home and write nonstop for hours. Often times than not, I couldn't even reach halfway home before I was scrounging in the car for a pen and a scrap of paper to put down a poem that just had to be born right them am there.

I'm a writer. I am. I just was on some temporary literal sabbatical. I think it's time to get back to work, because I'm a writer and as long as I keep the pen to the page my " muse will eventual know when to show up" (Taylor Mali).

No comments: