Sunday, August 8, 2010

I Can't Believe We Made it to Five Years...Wedded Bliss Here We Come!

We made it! Five years!! Well, not yet, in five days hubby and I will be celebrating our five year wedding anniversary! I am so proud of us that we didn't become a statistic. I've heard so many horror stories of couples, especially African-American couples, that don't make it past three years. I'm even prouder that in my cypher of friends, I have couples that are my age that are celebrating 10, 11, and 12 years of marriage.

I won't sit here and paint this picture perfect scenario of black love because those first four years were a doozy!! I'm an extremely independent and stubborn woman (don't tell hubby I admitted this lol) and hubby came from a very strict upbringing. Talk about a battle of wills on a daily basis. It is absolutely true that the biggest arguments a couple can have are over money and raising children. I hate to be cliche' but I truly believe that communication, communication, communication is thee key to a successful relationship. There's brutal honesty which I learned very quickly doesn't always get the results you want, however, learning how to say something is often times more important that what is said.

After 4 years, 11 months, and 24 days, I love my husband more now than the day I married him. I respect him and appreciate all that he does for me and this family now more than ever. I also truly believe that he feels the exact same way about me. It's in the way he hugs me when I pull him close, it's the way he'll hold my hand when I least expect it, it's the way he'll kiss my neck when we cross paths in the kitchen. My heart is full and my soul satisfied. I am blessed.

Marriage is a full time job, but with any job the benefits outway all the other "stuff"! Amen and hallelujah!!!

How are we planning to celebrate this momentous occasion, you ask? We know our budget is tight, as is everyone's. We wanted to make sure to have a family vacation with our children, and then a mini-vacation for just us two to celebrate. We really wanted to go to some tropical island or take a mini-cruise but WHOA on the prices!! Has anyone else tried to book a flight somewhere? Holy bejeezus! That said, we decided to stay a little closer to home and do a bed and breakfast.

We did Cape May a few years back and want to keep trying new locations, since hubby found that spot, I found our newest location: Ocean City, NJ. We'll be staying at a lovely B&B by the water. It's only a 3 hour drive from here, and mom and sister will take turns watching the kiddies for us at home. We're still exhausted from the family trip, but the excitement of our own getaway is exhilarating!

ext2.jpginlet_image18.jpgThis is where we'll be staying and I've already made reservations for our Anniversary dinner at this wonderful restaurant on the water right at sunset. I'm so anxious and all jittery and excited. Do you still get this way in your relationships? Sigh, no words left.

2 comments:

Tracita Linda (Tracey) said...

ENJOY ENJOY ENJOY! I hope to married for that long too. You've given me hope after not really having real-life models of what Black love and marriage looks like. I pray many more fulfilling years, happy tears and tenacious optimism!

God bless you!

Happy Anniversary,
Tica

LeonX said...

I'm just stopping by to wish you a Happy Birthday!