Friday, November 2, 2012

Does No Power Take Away Human Decency?

Post Laundromat Contemplations:

I spent 2 hours at the laundromat making friends with a group of ladies while we all did our laundry due to power loss. The discussion ranged from gratitude for having life and health to the absurdity of the gas crisis to figuring out we're going to get to work to BBQ grilling tips and tricks to the fear of what's next.

I shared that a neighbor had their generator stolen in the middle of the night. Another shared how a teenage neighbor of hers answered the door for a would-be LIPA worker only to have house robbed.

I spent a good amount of time helping elderly women with huge bags of clothes get situated while teens or men simply fended for themselves. What is going on? On my way out one woman stopped me and asked to hug me for all the help, talk, and recipes that I offered so many. She wanted me to know that she appreciated me and was thoughtful enough to thank me for those that did not.

Speechless.

2 comments:

Unknown said...

I've been making the rounds to my blogging buddies in the NYC area to check on them. Leave it to you to be out helping and making friends! I am in awe and admiration. I hope you and yours are staying warm and the power returns soon so that roaches that prey on the darkness can go back to their hovels.

Chocolate Mom aka Blupoetres said...

From your lips to God's ears!!