Friday, March 21, 2008

Gave myself my first Lupron shot!

I'm still in shock that I did it all by myself. I think, for now anyway, that I prefered it this way. You know without husband fussing about it. He's already traumatized that he has to give me the PIO shot (Progesterone In Oil shot to the butt muscle, can't say either of us is looking forward to it). We decided on a 6pm shot time, this way he will be home if there's a problem and the timing will stay the same when we switch the different medications. I did find out that my next door neighbor, God bless her, is a licensed phlebotomist...I KNOW!! What are the odds and how lucky can a girl get?! In the event that husband gets mandated to stay at work, all I have to do is call her over and she'll administer the shot for me, no muss no fuss. They say, "God works in mysterious ways"...well I'm loving the Godly coincidences =).

Anyway, at approximately 6:05pm I locked myself in my bedroom (and at 6:05:01 my daughter was knocking on the door: "Mom, what are you doing in there?!") She has a nack for noticing things, for real. After averting her to some juice, I got out the box-o-meds (as I like to call them), the waste box, my needle, alcohol swab and got down to business (of course after scrubbing my hands like I was in an episode of Grey's Anatomy). I was so nervous I almost dropped the bottle of Lupron on the floor, but my lightning speed caught it swiftly with back handed motion. Then swabbed my abdomen, drew out my 10 units, pinched my fat, and prayed I wouldn't pass out before the needle hit me. It was done in less than 5 minutes. Much easier than I expected! I hope their all like this.

No comments: