Monday, September 22, 2008

I'm here!

Sorry I've been MIA...been a little down...and aggravated...and tired...and bored...and lonely...and pissed off. Today's my first time really online in like 3 days...so not like me. I wasted my ever-so-precious time at the DOE Medical Office on Friday. Woke up at 5:30am, mom was supposed to be here at 6:30am, we left the house at 6:50. We hit Brooklyn at about 8:15 and picked up my cousin to assist with the parking situation. (DOE is in the heart of Downtown Brooklyn, parking can be a bit of an issue). We arrived at DOE at 8:30, 30 minutes before our appointment. Mom and I went in while my cousin went for parking and bagels. My union rep arrived shortly after we did (very nice older gentleman). We had idle chit chat for a good 20 minutes and I filled out some paperwork and submitted my medical info from the IVF and my current doctor's note that stated I was able to work with a wheelchair and required someone to push me. When the doctor (bitch) finally called me in with the union rep (mom wasn't allowed in the room), she realized the type of case I was (maternity) and informed me that she couldn't examine me. Fine. She then took about 5 minutes reviewing my paperwork and fielding questions to me. She her final question: Can you get your doctor to write a letter stating you can work with a self-propelled wheelchair? Um, if I could do that why the hell would I need to be here?!!! She then closed my file and said, "Well, then you're not fit to work". Both the union rep and myself tried arguing that how can I be unfit, if technically I can get up and walk in the event of an emergency? I have two working legs, hands, and fully functioning brain!! I asked questions like: what would be the difference if I had a broken leg or a broken hip? How do you think I go to the bathroom? How do you think I will get to work without driving myself there? She basically admitted it was "unfair" but she would never deem me fit...and then she allegedly went and asked several other "sources" and they all agreed with her. We sat for another few minutes while she wrote up the horrible "Unfit to Return to Work" form that would be cc'd to my principal. We were finished by 10am. I spent the rest of the day at my grandmother's house while mom went to work and then out with her co-workers. The bright side? I did get to surprise my grandmother, spend some time with my cousins, and see my aunt who was here visiting from Grenada. I then stayed in bed in a weird kinds funk all day Saturday and Sunday.

That's what I've been up to. Today I spent a good 6 hours creating a slideshow montage of my favorite pics from the photoshoot. I sent it to my brother and sister and I can't wait to see what they think (dad got to see the proofs, I needed to get his pep talk about them first lol...still running to my daddy at 35!) Mom doesn't like to see things online so I'll try to show her on her next visit. I cried when I played it (about 15x). I found a really beautiful song "Amazing" to play on it. I'm not quite ready to post it though for the world to see. Sorry.

Oh, haven't gotten the results from the glucose test or the breast sonogram...hopefully will find out tomorrow at OB1 appointment.

2 comments:

Jen said...

I'm so sorry it turned out like that! So where do you go from here? What does that mean for you as far as your job and pay?

Chocolate Mom aka Blupoetres said...

Jen, I'm in the process of trying to figure out how to appeal, plus contact the ADA and EEOC to file a complaint. As far as pay i've got until 11/16 to really start panicking.